Whether we are creating a communication book, programming an SGD, or customizing and app, we can’t get very far without thinking about core vocabulary. Here are some of the resources we consult in that process.
- Normal Language Development, Generative Language & AAC by Gail Van Tatenhove tops the list for the clinically useful material on this topic.
- The AAC site at University of Nebraska-Lincoln has some of the most comprehensive lists and covers a wide age range: You can view them here.
- Vocabulary for medical procedures, also from UNL
- Preschool vocabulary from Frequently Occurring Home and School Words from “Vocabulary Use Patterns in Pre-School Children by Christine Marvin, David Beukelman, and Denise Bilyeu
- A brief article on how one school approaches this task: A Few Good Words Using Core Vocabulary to Support Nonverbal Students by Barbara Cannon & Grace Edmond
What sources do you find helpful in selecting core language?